Social Impact Within and Beyond the Firm
We’re working every day to create a dynamic, diverse, inclusive and intellectually challenging environment at AB. Our goal is to bring out the best in our people and, in turn, advance the many communities we serve.
Our Diversity & Inclusion Strategy
Knowing that diverse and inclusive teams generate better ideas and reach more balanced decisions, we seek to leverage the unique backgrounds of our employees to meet the needs of a broad range of clients and to best engage the communities in which we operate.
Implement new recruitment processes that enable more effective access to diverse candidates.
Senior Leadership Accountability
Develop senior leaders who exhibit and model inclusive behaviors.
Diverse Talent Development
Foster an inclusive environment where diverse talent and perspectives thrive.
Building a Culture of Diverse Perspectives
Ethnically Diverse = African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, Asian. All gender information is global. All ethnic diversity information is US only. Data as of Dec 31, 2018.
At AB, we’re cultivating a dynamic, diverse, inclusive workplace—in which employees feel challenged, valued, and excited about building a career with us. Everyone at AB has a unique voice that deserves to be heard. These individual experiences and perspectives will help lead our firm as we move forward together.
Ethnically Diverse New Hires
“It’s not solely about diversity… We are striving at all times to make our workplace inclusive.”
—Janessa Cox-Irvin, Head of Diversity & Inclusion
Leading by Example: Driving Diversity & Inclusion
- AB received a perfect score on the
Human Rights Campaign Foundation Corporate Equality Index
for four years in a row.
- CEO Seth Bernstein is a member of CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion.
- Chief Diversity Officer Janessa Cox-Irvin hired in 2015
- Diversity & Inclusion executive sponsor selected on a rotating basis
- Dedicated campus recruiter for diverse talent
- Collaboration with non-profit programs, including Girls Who Invest, Year Up, and the Cristo Rey Network, to help recruit young, underrepresented talent
To help our workforce thrive, we need to do more than develop talent. Allowing employees to celebrate their commonalities and shared interests creates an inclusive environment and fosters outreach to our many communities.
Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)
ERGs help advance employees from traditionally underrepresented groups, their allies, and people who share a common purpose, interest or background. They share information, educate and reach out to our clients and communities.
- AB Asians
- AB OUT
- AB Veterans
- Black ERG
- Family Matters
Employee Wellness Groups (EWGs)
Employee Wellness Groups (EWGs) are a critical component of AB’s global Well Ahead initiative, which aims to encourage employee engagement and improve the overall health and wellness of group members.
- AB Golfers
- AB Run Club
- AB Volunteers
- Japan Energy
AB Voice: Giving Employees a Forum to Be Heard
To create a more engaged workforce, it’s important to listen to our employees about what’s working and what needs to get better. AB Voice, our annual employee survey, is a conduit for employees to
weigh in with their diverse perspectives and thoughts. In 2019, 88% of our employees took the survey and answered over 30 questions on key topics, including career development, manager effectiveness, communication, diversity and inclusion, and culture. Armed with this information, we continue to make improvements and keep a pulse on sentiment across the firm.
Access to Senior Leaders: The Town Hall
Regular global town hall meetings give employees the chance to hear directly from our CEO and other senior leaders, with lively and candid sessions that provide updates on financial results, corporate strategy and the business outlook. Interactive question-and-answer sessions enable employees to submit questions—confidentially—on the issues that matter to them.
Making an Impact Through Charitable Giving
We support our communities by promoting charitable giving through employee matching. We also encourage volunteering by offering paid time off to support communities and charities. In 2019, we launched AB Gives Back, a comprehensive platform for all volunteerism, gift-matching and grant-giving activities.
Supporting Charitable Giving
AB matches employee donations dollar for dollar up to $5,000 and up to $10,000 for senior vice presidents.
In 2017 and 2018, AB employees collectively donated more than $7.5 million that was eligible for matching gifts by AB. The matching program, combined with other firm contributions, brought AB’s total charitable impact on 1,800 organizations to more than $19 million in 2017 and 2018.
Encouraging Passion for Volunteering
We organize coordinated service opportunities and offer paid time-off allowances through our Day of Service program. The goal? To give employees more time to engage in community and charitable outreach.
- Day of Service was started in 2015 and continues to grow.
- Each employee is granted 16 hours of paid time off per year for Day of Service or other volunteer opportunities.
- A total of 5,300 hours of service were dedicated at 87 global events in 2018.
Day of Service Highlights: Giving Back to Our Communities
- Promoting financial responsibility and menstrual education to underprivileged students in Pune, India
- Introduction to Finance Day at King Solomon Academy in central London to familiarize female high-school students to finance as a potential career path
- Maintenance Day at the Street University in Sydney, Australia, a youth development project for 12- to 25-year-olds in crisis
- Book drive and meal preparation at A Place Called Home, a nonprofit youth center in South Central Los Angeles
- Superhero-themed carnival for Pediatric Cancer Awareness Day at the Children's Hospital at Montefiore in New York City
AB Named Corporate Partner of the Year by Citizen Schools
Citizen Schools, a leading nonprofit that provides middle-school students with hands-on learning outside the classroom to prepare for their futures, named AB its 2019 Corporate Partner of the Year. We’ve continued our commitment to the organization both through monetary donations and with more than 100 AB volunteers who have donated their time, making a direct impact on students. AB has partnered with Citizen Schools since 2010, working with over 350 middle-school students.